Friday, March 26, 2010

Cinnamon Twists Reviewed


I had my eye on these bad boys from the very beginning...




Overall, making these was a harrowing experience! I think this was largely in part due to human error, and not the recipe itself. :/ I was rushing and didn't realize that there were some extra steps in making the dough that I hadn't taken into account yet. (Basically it's not a "dump it all in the bowl and mix it up" type of dough. But bread-making is rarely that quick n' easy... shame on me for not planning ahead.)

Then, at one point I had to bring the buttermilk to a boil. Shame on me AGAIN, I walked away from the pan and it boiled over. ALL OVER. So I had this to deal with:



I threw it out, washed the pan, and started to heat up a new batch on a different burner. Wouldn't ya know it, that #@!&!?@!!$!*! buttermilk boiled over a second time!!! Note to all who read this: buttermilk comes to a boil awfully fast. And I'm a dork in the kitchen. Enough said.

Another bit of grumpiness I encountered was that this recipe required a "Hot Roll Mix." This was a big batch of dry ingredients that you only need a small portion of for the actual recipe. Then you have to save the rest for another time, or another recipe from the same "Hot Roll Mix" family. I was bummed that I had soooooooo much leftover and wasn't sure when/if I could use it again. Maybe Jeri could post some more things on here to make using it? (I even cut the amounts in half and I STILL had a ton of Hot Roll Mix left.)

However!!!!!

All of my grumpiness was experienced BEFORE the cinnamon twists were done. Once I ate one (or was it 17? I lost count...) all complaints should be erased from the record books. They were HEAVEN. Very different from a regular cinnamon roll. I don't know how they do it, but this dough comes out very Krispy Kreme-ish, so light and melt-in-your-mouth just like cotton candy. Wowsers. I will have NO problem using up that leftover Hot Roll Mix. I will be making these again -- SOON.

Here's the total amount the recipe made, just so you can see. (But imagine 2 more twists in the picture. I ate them before I remembered to grab my camera! HA!)



Thank you Jeri - we are bringing these to hang out with friends tonight and they are going to be awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment