Sunday, May 2, 2010

Homemade Maple Syrup

My grandmother and mother always made homemade syrup and I took it for granted. I fixed this often for my family and added some twists. Easy to make and so much better than store bought syrup.

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup water

Put in sauce pan and bring to a boil.

Put in one Teaspoon of maple flavoring and you have syrup. I have also substituted almond extract for maple flavoring and it is so good. You can also add some jelly of any flavor and have a great syrup as well - apricot, strawberry, and so forth. This recipe makes about 3/4 cup syrup which is good for about three people but it can easily be doubled or tripled. Use your imagination and make something great to go with your waffles or pancakes.

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I was spoiled with this as a kid. A friend taught me that the syrup won't crystallize if you put a stainless steel fork/knife in with it. I've kept mine in a jar in the fridge with a fork for a few weeks without any problems.

    ReplyDelete