Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chicken Tortilla Soup


 I actually got this from a Pampered Chef party--I didn't buy any products, but I've gotten many miles out of the recipe!

3 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (approx. 12 oz)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 garlic clove, pressed
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
2 cans (14.5 oz each) chicken broth
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 can (4 oz) chopped or diced green chilies, undrained
tortilla chips
fresh cilantro, finely chopped
shredded cheddar cheese
thick slices fresh lime

Cut chicken into 1/2-inch pieces. Heat stockpot over medium-high heat. Spray with cooking spray or add a little olive oil. Add chicken; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add chopped onion, garlic, chili powder and cumin. Cook and stir 2 minutes. Stir in broth, tomatoes and chilies. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.

Place a handful of chips in a bowl. Ladle soup over chips and sprinkle with cheese and cilantro. Garnish each bowl with lime slice to squeeze juice into soup (one of my favorite parts!).

I often make this when I have planned another dish during the week that uses chips and cilantro. I hate wasting ingredients, but if I don't plan for these ones in other meals, they'll go bad.

2 comments:

  1. I tried this recipe, converting it a little (just length of time and amount of broth) to use a slow cooker.

    Things I loved about it: The crockpot kept the meat really moist and it about fell apart in the soup, so good! It was really easy to put together. The flavor the lime and cilantro gave at the end - YUM! Aaron and the girls will eat this no problem! (I made it and snagged some already)

    Minor changes: This had less flavor than I was expecting, but that may be because of the crockpot; next time I'll partially cook the onions and peppers before adding them, plus give it some more chili powder, more like a whole tsp (but I like my chili powder!) Also, I am a big fan of beans and, after trying it, added in some black beans from a previous dish and I feel like they made it really yummy, too!

    All in all, really enjoyed this dish and will definitly do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fancy picture, too! Way to go Linds!

    ReplyDelete