Sunday, February 7, 2010

Oven Roasted Chicken

Found this one last year and I think it's the BEST. The chicken is always moist and flavorful, and the leftovers can be made into just about anything. I'm making it tomorrow and felt I just had to pass it along.

1 whole chicken
garlic salt
seasoned salt (any kind of seasoning blend works)
lemon pepper

Preheat oven to 325.

Rinse chicken with cold water and remove giblets from inside. Lay chicken, breast side up, in a baking dish (just big enough to contain it and has a lid). Sprinkle seasonings generously over chicken; flip to breast side down and season generously again. Cover and bake for 30 minutes per pound. (I've noticed that going over by as much as 30 minutes has never dried it out.)

Remove chicken and place breast-side up on a plate to serve.

Now, if anyone else has a good recipe for how to turn the 1-2 cups of juice left over after all this into a stock or soup, I'm interested. I've never been able to save it properly, but I know it would be great in other dishes.

1 comment:

  1. Just use your 1-2 cups of broth leftover when you mash up some fresh mashed potatoes. Use the broth instead of, or with some, milk and it gives it a nice flavor!

    ReplyDelete